Saturday, June 7, 2008

Why Kobe Bryant Is My Favourite Player

Take a look at the picture above. Yes, that is Kobe Bryant, then a 19-year old phenom that had yet to even be the focal point of a team, let alone win an NBA title. In the picture, he is posting up against arguably the greatest player of all time (otherwise known as the GOAT). Now, there's a reason why I chose this picture. No, it's not because I believe Kobe Bryant is better than Michael Jordan. Let's read that again. NO I DO NOT THINK THAT KOBE BRYANT IS BETTER THAN MICHAEL JORDAN. I'm not an idiot. Being "better" than someone in the NBA, specifically if you play the same styles, and put up similar numbers, is judged by how much of a winner you eventually are. It's the reason why I believe Tim Duncan is a better player than Kevin Garnett, and it's the reason that Michael Jordan is better than Kobe Bryant.

Granted, with that being said, there's no reason to not believe that Kobe Bryant is not the best player of his generation. What intrigues me about Kobe Bryant, and what makes many people hate him in my opinion, is his audacity to challenge the norm. Kobe Bryant is like a new idea that dares challenge the traditions and ideas of the past. And that is simply the reason why people seem to hate him: they hate people that challenge the past.

Tell me what Kobe Bryant has done wrong. He was born in America, but grew up in Italy. Apparently now, it's a big fault of his that he grew up in Italy. When he came back to the States, apparently he was not "street" enough, and people became annoyed that he tried to "talk street". People were also annoyed that he tried to mimic MJ's game, look, and to some, even his interview mannerisms. People were annoyed that Kobe refused to pass the ball with Shaquille O'Neal. Annoyed with his apparent swagger; the AUDACITY of this 18 year old kid to hoist up 3 air balls in a crucial game of the NBA Playoffs. Ahhh, those air balls.

Those are the air balls that have shaped Kobe's career. As far as the personal bias against Kobe Bryant goes, I will simply say this. If you watch the man play the game of basketball, it is like reading the works of Oscar Wilde. It is comparable to watching poetry in motion (most of the times, he does make his share of mistakes though, obviously). It is comparable to watching the other great athletes in sports that you just KNOW, when you see them play, that they will go down in history as one of the greatest. I get the same feeling watching Cristiano Ronaldo play for Manchester United or Portugal. However, you know what struck me with Kobe Bryant? I knew, in my heart of hearts, as an 8 year old kid, that he was going to be a legend since I saw him challenge Michael Jordan in an All-Star game. Yes, the 1998 All-Star game was Kobe's stepping stone to becoming a player that would slowly show flashes of his brilliance, as well as his stubbornness to be the greatest to ever play.

I am not enamoured with Kobe Bryant's personality, or looks, or anything else. I am enamoured with his confidence in himself, and his belief and drive to be the greatest player to ever play the game of basketball. His work ethic, his swagger; all of these are things that make me adore the man further as a player. See, not many of us have this drive, this sense of entitlement. Kobe Bean Bryant does. And to hate, or attempt to make it his fault that he is like this is simply over analyzing the situation. We are meant to sit and enjoy poetry. Kobe Bryant writes the most beautiful poetry you will witness at the moment when you watch him play the game of basketball.

His audacity, his confidence, his swagger, his work ethic. That's all it takes for me. Kobe Bryant knew he was on the verge of becoming a legend when he was 17 years old and decided to declare for the NBA Draft. He was a legend as he tore apart Jerry Stackhouse in pre-draft workouts. Hell, he was a legend from the moment he spent his high school mornings practicing the game of basketball, as early as 5 AM, while I (and I'm sure most of you readers) would be on MSN or AIM chatting away till 2 in the morning and sleeping in until 10, missing classes while we were at it.

That my friend, is greatness. When the past is against you, and the people around you surround you with doubt, you have no choice but to prove them wrong. The chip he carries on his shoulder, the drive he has instilled within him; THESE are the marks of a legend. And quite simply, these are the reasons why Kobe Bryant is undoubtedly my favourite player.




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think ... I'm in love with your reasons for why Kobe's your fave player because they're pretty much the same reasons for me as well.

I remember watching Kobe's rookie year and knowing that he was going to be an amazing player. A great player. I was about 10 at that time. Every time he stepped on that court I was so excited to see him perform and perform well.

Kobe's also the reason why I became such a huge fan of the game. Before, I enjoyed watching it, but Kobe made me appreciate it and love it.

I don't think Kobe's better than Jordan, nor do I think Kobe should be compared to Jordan, but I think Kobe, as a player is one of the best there is today. He will be remembered as one of the greats to play the game. I enjoy watching Kobe be Kobe and seeing him going into Mamba mode.