Friday, June 13, 2008

I Am Speechless.


Okay. So, I go to work for an 8 hour shift in the afternoon. I don't hear anything about the Lakers-Celtics game all night long because serving customers here in Toronto, I see more people sporting flags of countries that they're cheering for in Euro 2008 (Netherlands is killing it!). So, after hearing cars honk for Crotia's win, and seeing fine girls wearing Italia and Portugal jerseys (because there is nothing sexier than girls from "soccer countries"), I come home, eat and chill for a bit, and then turn on the net. I check out The Big Lead and in it, I read that the Lakers were apperently blowing out the Celtics at Staples by at least 20+ points. Relieved, I figure I'd catch the end of the game on ABC. So, I turn on the TV and go on ABC. I come in to see Kobe Bryant driving to the hoop furiously, and the Lakers TRAILING. I am in shock. I am hurt, I am in disbelief; I cannot believe the Lakers would choke on a game that should have been a blowout in the 2nd half. I cannot believe that a team lead by Kobe Bryant would be that out of sync in such a PIVOTAL game.

Watching Kobe make two free throws, I became a little more relieved, thinking that the the Lakers - although in the choking process - had still not completely choked away the game; they could still win it.

I'm not sure at exactly what time it happened, but Posey finished a Ray Allen drive with a a HUUUUGE three-pointer that silenced the already silent Staples crowd (horrible fans, by the way). The Celtics could feel it; they knew they had sucked the life out of this already lifeless Lakers team (and its faux fans). Nevertheless, I think this was followed by some more Kobe free throws, and then Gasol dunking it in off the Kobe pass.

The next play however, was Ray Allen (Jesus!) absolutely ABUSING Sasha Vujacic on an isolation, leaving the Slovenian crying and taking out his anger on some poor dude who thought he could console The Machine. Who knew the Machine could get so emotional?


I kind of laughed when I first saw that (Sasha getting pissed I mean, not the above picture), but I do respect Sasha for being so into the game and realizing that his lack of ability to properly defend Jesus may have pretty much cost his team the series. It's not totally Sasha's fault though, the Lakers as a unit did a horrible job of helping out the Machine, especially Pau, who came in for the help just as Allen's shot was pretty much about to swish through already.

This excellent execution by the Celtics was followed by a horrible play out of a time out by the Lakers where Sasha shot a clutch three (AGAIN - just like in Game 2) and missed, followed by Kobe dribbling and missing a three, followed by Eddie House being fouled and icing the game. Why wasn't the ball in the hands of Kobe to begin with??

Now, as much as I was in disbelief, I wanted to read over the facts of this game. How the f@!k did this even happen? From searching the net, I have come to find out that this loss is to be blamed on Kobe not really showing up, Pau not showing up, and Odom disappearing in the 2nd half. The Lakers bench was horrible, and Fisher wasn't much of a factor. Some said that Kobe started becoming selfish in the 2nd half, and that's when the game started slipping. Basically, however, the whole team failed to show up in the second half.

It doesn't matter. The loss doesn't need to be on one person's shoulders, it needs to be something that should be held against this whole team. The Lakers have had a terrible series, and for some reason, Boston has always had their number. I am openly rooting for the Lakers, but I remember watching Game 3 and seeing the Celtics claw it out against the Lakers on the road in a game that the Lakers should have been able to win without that much of a fight, and I thought to myself....'wow....these Celtics are really a much better team than the Lakers'. I still can't believe that this Celtics team is the same one that struggled against such shitty teams as the Hawks and Cavs, yet are steamrolling past the Lakers.

Let's make this one thing clear, there is not ONE GAME this series that the Celtics have not looked more dominant then these Lakers. Not one. I won't go into blaming Kobe, because when they were winning, nobody complained about him not scoring in the 1st half, but I will say that I'm disappointed in the Lakers as a team for letting such a lead slip away in such a crucial game.

Ray Allen, welcome back. I loved watching you with the Bucks in the 2001 Eastern Conference Finals, and I will be glad if you do win a title. Pierce's injury hoax was horrible in my opinion, but the guy has been playing his heart out.

The series is not over yet, and I will not discount the Lakers, but I will not be surprised if the Celtics beat them in Staples on Sunday. The Celtics have been the better team all series, and unless ALL the Lakers show up committed to winning this thing, the Celts are taking it. And if they DO take it, they took it very easily too I must add.




No comments: